Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2015

Remembering The Very First "What NOT to Read"

All Authors Magazine has come a long way since its very first issue. Today, I'll indulge you on a walk down memory lane. Let's take a look at the very first "What NOT to read".


Hello Everyone, Mini Truth here!


So, I'm thinking that since this is the very first issue of the All Authors Magazine, I should start by introducing myself. I'm called Mini Truth because that's precisely what I bring to the table. A quick and formidable truth about books. After much reading, I think I can safely suggest what books you wouldn't want to waste your time with. I am impartial to genre and publishing source—I can care less if the author is romance or action, Indie or Traditional—it doesn't matter. I like it all. That being said I've read lots of books. Having done that, I'm considered a fairly good source of information on good or bad books.
For this edition of What NOT to Read with Mini Truth, I've picked a doozy. Now, before I go on, I'd like to start with a clause:

Dear Authors & Readers,
I am not here to criticize the Author on a personal level. I am simply offering my honest opinion of the works featured in this column. Nothing more and nothing less. This is NOT an attack towards the Writer, but a simple and suggestive view of his/her works. Thank you.

Brace yourself folks!


For those of you whom enjoy reading Sci-Fi Fantasy, please, do yourself and your pocket a favor and do
NOT pick up “The Best Laid Plans” by James McAllister. Prior to picking this story up, I read the blurb
and then checked out the interviews. Let me start by saying, I ALWAYS find it odd when an Author reviews
his/her work. May I offer an example:

On Goodreads.com Mr. McAllister writes, “Well, I wrote it! Now, I sort of miss the characters. Hmm.” Here's the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/644186333

Anyhow, let me go on...



The blurb:
“In two weeks, when the Fleet arrived at Earth, the man known to a quarter of the galaxy simply as “The
Admiral” would officially retire at a great party at the Lunar Grand Ballroom Among The Stars. And then his
most important assignment would begin. These were his best laid plans.
But others had very different plans involving Angus MacAlister, his Senator wife, and his assumed second
career.
Such were the plans they had made.
What Admiral MacAlister faced was no where near his plans: Fierce battles in space above the Earth, with the planet's very survival hinging on the outcome. Searching through the wreckage for survivors. Bloody fights for survival with bioengineered warriors. A mysterious symbiosis revealing telepathic powers. Assassination attempts. Searching for his wife, stranded on some lifeless planet. Building a society from
the shattered remains of humanity, only to discover that societies evolve along unforeseen lines. Costly attempts at vengeance. A daring rescue into the last stronghold of the horrific alien menace that ultimately fails, yet brings new friends and new hopes as it reveals terrible possibilities. And a little romance. The reactions of Angus MacAlister to all of this fuels the birth of something much larger, and much more important, among the few million surviving humans.”

This, I must admit, is a very alluring blurb. Though long, it's good nonetheless. There is something I'd like to point out though. What author in his/her right mind would name a character after themselves? Just because the name is spelled differently, makes it no less your surname! Still, I picked up the story and started upon my venture of reading it. After all, no one is perfect and maybe the author simply couldn't think of a name. Things happen!
I start reading, and the very first thing I noticed right off the bat was the significant amount of information concerning theseveral Ships and their crew members. Now, when I say “significant amount”, I mean A WHOLE LOT. So much so, that once you're done reading all of it, you'll instantly forget it had you not taken notes. No people, I'm not kidding! I had to take notes! The last time I had to take note on any book was in college! What the...?!
Regardless, I pushed on. I picked up that the Admiral was being chased, I picked up that he loved his wife very much. Still, I awaited the “action” mentioned in the blurb. Instead I got quite a bit more of what seemed like useless information.
People (I kid you not), I could not make it past the 5th Chapter. How bad must a book be, that I—the all genre reader—cannot press through it. Why? Because I was so very confused. My mind was whirling and I had no idea what the heck was going on.
I felt terrible, because I don't typically not finish a book (double negative—I know). The thing was, I truly felt like it was a chore to get through it. When reading for leisure, the last thing that you want to feel is like reading said work is a task.
Reading a school text book... that's supposed to be a task. Reading for leisure? No. Not so much.
So, what did I do? I dug deeper into the reviews, and further information on the book. Let's just say that what I found out, was interesting.


1) Very few reviews, and most of them say the same things I noticed—too much technobabble and too drawn out. Yet, they still gave him 3-5 stars. Hmmm...? Odd much?

2) Mr. McAllister has the tendency of 'commenting' a lot on whatever reviews he does get.
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/650958057

3) There apparently was a fiasco with the one person that I believed gave the book an incredibly accurate review.
theunleashedreviewboard.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/unleashed-speaks-on-the-best-laid-plans/

I surmised instantly that it was dangerous to review this author's works, if you had nothing good to say, lest he harass you like a gnawing toothache. My heart goes out the The Review Board for what they had to endure with Mr. McAllister.

However, besides all that, I truly suggest that you do not waste your time reading this story, unless you are hankering for a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment