Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2016

Book Feature with Emerald Barnes

Dear Readers, Writers, and Precious Patrons,

Today on All Authors Blog, we’re pleased to bring you a spotlight with Emerald Barnes, author of the new release Delivered by Angels.



Determined to escape her abusive father and drunken mother, Lexi Johnson turns to the blade to numb her pain, but it isn’t enough to end her misery. She’s convinced that not even God could save her now.

Roxy Taylor is the new girl in town, and Lexi doesn’t trust her, especially when she teams up with DJ Tucker to try and break down the barriers that Lexi has put in place.

Little does Lexi know, there are greater forces battling for her life, and as Lexi begins to open up to both Roxy and DJ, she’ll see that she isn’t alone in this world.

In the heart-pounding sequel to Entertaining Angels, everyone’s favorite angel, Zach Taylor, is back, and he’s there to make sure that Madison and Chase Sanders are on the path that God has chosen for them, a path that could deliver Lexi from the demons who want her soul.


Excerpt:

In the school parking lot, I made sure my sleeves were tugged down again, far over my hands so the scars and fresh marks wouldn't be noticeable, and then I grabbed my backpack from the passenger seat and got out of the car. The bell rang as soon as I locked the car doors. I had learned to time it just right so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. There was no need to stand around awkwardly while people stared at and made fun of me, anyway. I felt like they knew my darkest secrets, that they could somehow see through my sleeves.

I crossed my arms over my stomach, ducked my head, and let my hair hide me from the world. I walked straight to my locker, switched out my books, and walked to first period.

I slid into the seat on the back of the first row, nestled as close to the corner as possible. I pulled out my notebook and randomly doodled, continuing to let my hair hide me from my classmates. They all came in talking about how their weekends went, chatting loudly, and all I could think about was the pain of the cuts radiating through my wrists.

“Hey. I saw you this morning at the coffee shop,” some random chick said. I pushed my hair out of my face and saw the girl that had been with the extremely happy people. Roxanne.

“Yeah.”

“I’m Roxanne. Roxy for short. And you are?”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “Lexi.”

“Can I call you Lex? I think that’s just adorable.”

I felt my eyebrows rise, curious why a girl with such a bubbly personality would be talking to me. No one cared to talk to me, so it was fairly obvious that she was new.

“Sure. Whatever.”

“Not very friendly, are you?” Roxy laughed and took the empty seat beside me.

I grunted, insulted by the comment. Was I rude? I certainly didn’t try to make friends with anyone at this school because they all looked at me like the trash I was. How could I make friends with them?

Roxy laughed again, and it was musical. Why was this girl even bothering to speak to me? She belongs with the popular kids, the cheerleaders, someone besides me.

“You know,” Roxy said, tucking her long hair behind her ears, “I was wondering how things work around here.”

“What do you mean?”

Roxy stared at me, her glance moving down my arms and lingering there for a minute before saying, “Like, do they do cliques here—or whatever they’re called.”

I tugged the sleeves down over my hands, suddenly even more self-conscious than before. Roxy noticed but didn’t say anything. I could feel a blush running up my cheeks.

“Well?” Roxy asked. I had forgotten the question. Oh, how things work.

“Um, well, you know. Like any other normal high school I guess.”

Roxy crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. “You don’t talk much, do you?”

Saved by the bell. I let my hair fall down again, and Roxy didn’t bother speaking to me after that.


Purchase Links:

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQP2N5M

About Emerald Barnes: 

  
Emerald Barnes graduated with a B.A. in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing at Mississippi University for Women. She resides in a small town in Mississippi and has the accent to prove it. She’s an auntie, a Whovian, a little bit of a nerd, a reader, a writer, and a family-oriented person. God is number one in her life, and she thanks Him continuously for His love and favor.

Connect with Emerald online:

Twitter: @emeraldbarnes
Pinterest: Emerald Barnes
Email: emerald_barnes@yahoo.com
 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment