Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday Memories: Coffee Time Interview with Jennifer Loiske


Hello Everyone.
Today on Monday Memories, All Authors brings you a throwback of Coffee Time Interview with Jennifer Loiske, which was featured in Issue 5 of All Authors Magazine.

 
Hello Jennifer, it's great to have you here with me today. What's your preference? Cappuccino, mocha, cafe con leché? Your call. It's on me. Wait. Do you drink coffee, or would you prefer tea. Either way, I'm flipping the bill.

Wow, thank you! I’ll take a chai latte then.

It's so good to sit here with you and chit-chat. We don't talk often enough. How are you? How is the “writing life” coming along for you?

All good here. Writing is going a bit slower than I expected as I have so many other things in my life at the moment. But don’t worry; I still have couple of new books coming out this year and so many great plans for the future.





1)    Coolness. So, Jennifer, I have got to ask—you have 3 Series' in that you've written and are writing. How do you keep track? I'd be spinning in circles! Can you tell us a little bit about each series and how they differ from each other?

I actually need to have a lot of WIPs (work in progress) at the same time as that keeps me going and prevents any possible writer’s blocks. My office is a mess, though. Filled with notebooks and small piece of papers…and, I really love my yellow post-it notes, which covers half of my walls! So, about my series…I have something for everyone. McLean Twins series is for teens. The first part of this trilogy, Black Diamond, is quite popular and the sequel, Demon’s Touch, will be out later this year. McLean Twins series is a paranormal, suspense story with a hint of magic in it. The Shape Shifter series is my first series and was meant for young adult readers, but somehow most of its fans are adults! Maybe, because its pace is a bit slower than in my other books or because it has so many layers that the reader needs to be patient to find all the hidden meanings from it. The Shape Shifter series is also very loosely based on my own life and I spent a great amount of time researching wolves and their history before starting to write that. It also has a heroine with severe epilepsy…just to prove my point that I truly believe that anyone can be a hero, no matter what kind of background they have. And then there’s Immortal Blood series, which is my bestselling series and my own favorite of all my books. It is for mature young adult readers. Full of fast turns, sassy vampires and hotties that makes even me blush. The series is completed but there will be a sister series to it, thanks to my persistent readers, whom want to read more about Samantha Green’s adventures. And I can’t really blame them as said before, it is my own favorite series, too, and I love seeing this series continue. 


2)    You know what I love...? I love your covers! I think that are great! Who does them and how did you come up with the concepts for them?

I usually have a vision of what I’d like my covers to look like. I just have no idea how to actually accomplish my visions. And that’s where Eveliina Tommola comes into the picture. Eveliina is a graphic designer at Viima Graphics. She has designed all of my covers and hopefully will also do that in the future. I’m more than pleased of her work and the way we work together. You know, actually the cover of Club Number Five is taken with my iPhone and is just this random door on a small side alley in London. But Eveliina created it to look as if it really is a door to some creepy vampire club. Also, I try not to use models from the popular stock-sites. I rather use my friends, their friends, their brothers and anyone I believe would suit on the cover of my books. Poor them…


3)    Now, I know that you're an avid writer and blogger, but do you do anything else? Do you have a 9 to 5, or does your life revolve around your writing?

My life pretty much revolves around my writing and all things writing related. I’m lucky to be able to do what I love for my living. I also take care of my sick daughter, which is a full time job. Luckily the day rhythm fits perfectly for my writing.

4)    So, you're a dog lover, huh? Me too... although I'm a sucker for anything furry and cute. But could you tell us about your doggies please?

Are you sure you want to go there? This might take a while…Yes, I love my dogs, and your dogs…basically any dogs and yes, all things furry, too. At the moment I have two dogs, one is a black Labrador retriever called Karkki (Candy) and the other a White Shepherd called Sona, which means happy in Scottish-Gaelic. Karkki is a search- and rescue dog and Sona, well, she’s just cute. White and soft. I used to train search- and rescue dogs but I simply have no time for it now, so I basically just help the organization with the PR and media issues and wish that one day I can start training the dogs again. However, I still train wayward home-dogs and their owners J 


5)    Here's a story I love asking, only because my readers love to see the person behind the pages; what were you like as a child? What did you want to be when you grew up?

I was a wild child. A tomboy and quite a handful. Now I’m all mature and well behaving of course (muahhhhaaaaahhhhaa…). No really, I was alone a lot when I was a child as my parents had to work so much, so I basically played with this boy next door all day long, pretending to be Tarzan or Peter Pan or whatever hero we had in mind at the moment. I’ve always had an over-active imagination so I’ve loved all kind of stories as long as I can remember. And…don’t laugh, I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I just got lost a bit on the way. But hey, look at me now! I’m just where I always wanted to be.


6)    Finland, huh? Are you a native? What's life like there?

I was actually born in Beirut, Lebanon, but moved in Finland when I was 2 months old. So in a way I guess you could say I’m a native. I love Finland. I love the quiet, pure nature and the spacious archipelago here. Still, I’ve always felt as if I should live somewhere else and had this certainty that one day I will be living in England or Ireland. So we’ll see what will happen in the future…

7)    One of your reviewers said that Club Number 5 was just as good as the Twilight Saga. How does that make you feel?

Oh, wow! I’m blushing here. That is a huge compliment. I love Twilight Saga and if anyone thinks my book is even close as good as Twilight…well, just wow!


8)    One fellow said that he was a middle-aged man that had never picked up a teenage book about Vampires, but that when he read your book he loved it. That is a fantastic thing to say. Any thoughts on that?

That’s awesome! I’d like to think that my books are for everyone who loves paranormal romance stuff. Sure, they’re on YA genre, but that only says my books are not suitable for kids, nothing more. I love teen reads and I am not a teenager. 

9)    So, for a lover of Paranormal, is there any chance of you dabbling into a different genre in the future? If so, what do you think it'll be?

I don’t think so. As one of my readers said: this is so my genre. I love reading and writing about paranormal creatures but then again, I don’t want to say never…as you’ll never know what the future brings!

10) Now, could you please tell my readers why they should read your stories?

Well, if you love fun, suspenseful stories with vampires, witches, demons and shape shifters you should definitely read my books. If you want to learn more about wolves, epilepsy and Scandinavian you should read The Shape Shifter series. If you want to learn more about magic and spells, then McLean Twins series might just be the right series for you, and if you’re hungry for lifelong friendship, mouthwatering guys and sassy vampires, then grab a copy of Immortal Blood series. In every book you will find a message and a bunch of facts that actually are true. You just need to know what to look for…happy hunting!



That was an outstanding interview Jennifer. It was definitely a pleasure. (smiling)... I hope to have you come visit me again sometime soon. In the meantime, would you please tell my readers a little more about your books; where they can find them, and things of the sort?

With pleasure. You can find more about me and my books here:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jennifer+loiske

AmazonUK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jennifer+loiske

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJenniferLoiske

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JenniferLoiske

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5821849.Jennifer_Loiske

Blog: http://jenniferloiske.wordpress.com


Here’s also an excerpt from Club Number Five (Part 1 of Immortal Blood Series). I hope you’ll enjoy it!
   
A quiet knock woke me from my miserable thoughts. I opened the door, sighing, and watched Kate rush onto the couch and look at me with her eager eyes. I sighed again. I could tell she was bursting but I didn't know how to start. Should I just blurt it out or should I smoothen the edges and tell her gently? Oh God! Why did this have to be so difficult? I glanced at her and saw how she was struggling not to talk. Not to ask anything, like she wanted to prove she was worthy of my trust. Oh, what the hell. I decided to spit it out.


“I think I'm a vampire.”

Silence. Kate's eyes widened and she opened and closed her mouth in turns. “You think you're a vampire.”

I nodded and she lifted her finger. She formed questions like what, when, who with her lips but nothing came out. I nodded again and saw an angry flash in her eyes.

“And that's why you dragged me here in the middle of the night?” Kate's voice rose alarmingly.

“Shh,” I hushed. “I don't want to wake my parents and neither do you.”

Kate got up and paced back and forth. “You don't think you're a vampire, Sam. That kind of thing you know.”

“Okay,” I sighed. “Let's assume I know I’m a vampire. Will you help me or not?”

“What kind of help are we talking about exactly?” Kate asked suspiciously. I licked my lips. I couldn't help it, but just the thought of her blood made me crazy. “Oh, no,” Kate backed away. “I'm so not going to let you bite me. Besides, what evidence do you have that you are a vampire besides your new gorgeous look? I thought you didn't believe any supernatural crap.”

“I didn't,” I admitted. “But something happened to me.” I opened my scarf and let her see the small fang marks on my neck. “I got bitten.”

Kate leaned over and looked at my marks. I couldn't help but sniff her heavenly smell and reveal my fangs. She glanced at me weirdly and I felt embarrassed. “Okay,” she said slowly. “So, you have fangs. What other proof do you have?”

I laughed nervously. She hadn't run yet and that was a good sign, right? “I don't have any pimples anymore.” I raised my brow.

“Right,” Kate's mouth tugged. “Anything other than what Clearasil won't cover?”

“My eyes hurt in the daylight and I look like a supermodel,” I grinned. “And I'm hungry.”

Kate went pale. “How hungry?”

"Don't worry, I won't jump on you. I can perfectly control myself." I think, I added in my mind.

Kate sat down again and eyed me warily. We didn't speak for a while. I pressed my knees together with my hands as if my life depended on it and tried to ignore my ever-so-growing hunger. Five minutes had passed and I couldn't even look at her anymore. My throat was like sandpaper and my fangs hurt.

“Don't lie to me,” Kate said quietly.

“I'm not lying,” I managed to hiss. “I won't bite you. Scout's honor.”

“You're no Scout,” Kate sneered. “Tell me exactly how bad it is.”I glanced at her and shook my head. “Honey, your eyes are already reddish and I bet in a minute or two you’ll drool,” she said gently and moved closer to me.

“I will not drool,” I said between my teeth, “but I suggest you don't come any closer.”

“That bad?” Kate said shakily.

I nodded. If she came any closer I couldn't give any guarantees. I may or may not jump on her and I didn't want to do that. I wished she'd go away, and I wished I'd been wiser than to ask her to come here.

“How do you want to do it?” she whispered. I stared at her, stunned. She rolled up her sleeves and unbuttoned her shirt. “What's the best spot?”

“How would I know?” I hissed. “I've never bitten anyone before.”


Thank you so much for spending this day with me! I had so much fun and would love come again J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment