Search This Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Feeling some kind of way...

Hello RWPP's

So, I'm feeling some kind of way about a reply to a blog post from a blog on LinkedIn that I follow. 


Frankly, I'm pissed and have a bone to pick with this person and all others like him that think the same way.


However, I'm turning to you--my faithful readers/followers--for your input... because, quite honestly I might be overreacting. However, how can I not?

The subject is the always famous "Reviews".

Now, although I have TONS & TONS to say about this subject, I'll try to limit myself to the affair at hand.

Here is how it all started...


Something like a week ago, someone on LinkedIn asked in one of their groups/blogs about book reviews. Basically this person is a new author and is looking for book reviews and was asking for information therein.

Now being that I have some information to give, I answered said person's post and recommended The Review Board, as it's a board that I work with hand in hand and I highly endorse, since their reviews are in depth and informative. Moreover, they are FREE! Yes, of course their is a waiting list, but what would you expect from a place that offers quality reviews for no cost at all, plus accept ALL GENRES. We get a little busy from time to time...

Anywho...

Needless to say whenever someone commented on the post, I'd get a notification. I'm sure those on you on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter know what I'm talking about.

Then, yesterday at some point, one individual left the following comment:

"It's not people who provide the most powerful reviews (barring a review by President Obama). It's organizations in your book's genre that count the most.
For example, I wrote a novel about young Jewish lovers during the Holocaust that was trade-published in 2007 ("Jacob's Courage"). My best, most powerful and influential compelling reviews came from Jewish Book World and The Association of Jewish Libraries.
You see, it's not individual readers (bless their hearts) that count the most. It's organizations in your book's genre that count much more. Because, while each person's review may impact a handful of other new purchases, each organization's reviews can impact the purchasing of hundreds of thousands or millions of prospective readers.
Don't get me wrong. I love each of the many personal positive reviews that my books have generated with readers at Amazon, B&N, Alibris, Scribd, Kobo, Sony, Scrollmotion, etc. These people took the time (and cost) to read and positively review my books. I love that. But, those reviews are not likely to drive any really significant new purchases.
However, the organizations that these people belong to and the organizations that oversee the events and credibility of my books' genres count for so much more influence.
So, go ahead and enjoy reviews from readers. But know that reviews from respected organizations in your book's genre are far, far more powerful and influential. Figure out how to get those reviews and you'll be in like Flint.

By Charles W-
"


Now forgive me if I cannot see the "helpful" hint in this reply, but is it just me, or is this person saying that us "average" folk aren't good enough to review a book, because our reviews "don't count"??

I mean, I could be wrong... right?

 Right.

 And so...

In continuing with my conversation. 

Point 1)
I thought that it was US, the averages day folk that BUY the book. I mean, am I wrong? And if our reviews don't count, then why the hell are we giving them?!

Point 2)
I am simply NOT A FAN of his condescending and obnoxious tone! Here is what it sounded like to me. (insert sarcastic tone here) "Oh! Those sweet little people, bless their souls! I'm so grateful (wink, wink) of their reviews and all, but it's simply not enough. Besides, MY book is better than YOURS because this high end society says so. Now there!"

Point 3)
How many movie and book critics are out there that either slander a book or give it praise and the general public disagrees completely? I'm just saying!

Point 4)
Made by a good friend of mine Mr. D. John Watson; these high end places only count for "specialty books" meaning things that are not so common. But for us average everyday writers of fantasy fiction and nonfiction, it's the little people's reviews that matter.

Point 5)
I know of high end places that charge RIDICULOUS amounts of money for reviews--and by 'ridiculous' I mean up to $500--and STILL give lackluster reviews or flat out bad ones. So, what's the point in that?


Now...

All that being said, and still not covering the extent of all that I wanted to say, I'll cue you all in. What you are thoughts on the matter??


No comments:

Post a Comment