Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

Thinking about the "Read & Review" game...

I've been thinking about some things lately... Bookish things of course.

I've just realized that it's almost impossible for an author whom is not well known to get their book(s) read and reviewed. I think it has something to do with either having the right connections, lack of money or the wrong genre. I haven't quite pin-pointed it yet.

Or maybe it's what I'm doing. In the process of helping others, I've lacked receiving any help in return. I've been so focused on helping other people in my predicament, that I've somehow lost sight of the goal of getting my own work out there and recognized.

I can't say for sure.

I know for a fact that when people have all the right connections or the right amount of money: everything is possible for them.
A person such as myself that is struggle with health, money, raising a family all on my own and with no help or support, those things are impossible.

I realize that everyone is living with hard times now. THAT much I can understand fully! I'm the perfect example! But just because someone has a few books out and some big ideas that have led them to doing big things, does not (by any means) mean that said person is well off and has the finances readily available in order to serve the public for free AND give away their books for free too.
It sort of feels like, since I'm the founder and creator of a large community of authors, some people instantly assume that I have money to throw around or lack or need nothing. That couldn't be farther from the truth. In order to do some of the things I've done, you just need an imagination, willingness to do something and people with a common interest.

I've realized that when I put my books up for "promotion" and give them away, I get 100's of downloads, yet  hardly anyone takes the initiative to take 5 minutes out of their busy schedules to leave a quick review... even a bad one.
Then, when I SELL my stories, I BARELY get any downloads, and even less reviews.

Or is it that I've simply chosen the wrong genre to write in...? Is there SO MANY romance stories out there that people simply can't afford to write two quick lines in the "review" column of the their retailers website? I mean, it's easy, it doesn't have to be an elaborate review. It can be something as simple as, "I like this book. I recommend it." or "I hated this story. Don't waste your time and money."

This is not me being envious or 'hating' on anyone, this is just an observation: I've noticed that a lot of new authors (with just 1 new book) get, (almost immediately) back to back reviews. Yet, people like myself, that try and try to get their stuff out there simply and bluntly have shit luck. Also, authors that have 100's, even 1,000's of reviews, keeps fishing for more. Greedy much?! Shit, I'd be happy with 10!

It's a lot to think about. What are your thought on that friends/followers??

No comments:

Post a Comment