Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2014

Come visit "Mr. Bradley's Garden" by Queen of Spades

The Scent that Launched a Story

When I was growing up, one of my favorite peas to eat was crowder peas. The texture and the taste hit the tummy in a way no other peas could--even black-eye peas. Yet, crowder peas are only grown in certain parts of the States and where I'm currently living isn't one of those place.



One night while asleep, a strange scent hit my nose. I hadn't been around it in years but it was unmistakable. It was the smell of crowder peas being cooked. My stove wasn't on yet my senses were filled to the brim with the aroma.

I couldn't get back to sleep so I sat in front of the computer. A few minutes later, I started to write. Once I finished the story, the mysterious scent became less and less until it finally vanished.

The end result of this writing session became Mr. Bradley's Garden. It is loosely based on my late grandfather, who took lots of pride in his yard and his garden--a blend of the power of giving and the things one can take for granted.


Blurb:

Mr. Bradley takes pride in maintaining his garden and sharing the bounty with the neighbors. Over the years, an illness strikes that hampers his ability to do this deed, which has sprouted more feelings of entitlement than gratitude from the existing generations. When good things come to an end, does the attitude of the community remain the same or is there a deeper impact brought about by Mr. Bradley’s garden?

#FREE and Available at Smashwords

Note:

Mr. Bradley's Garden made its first appearance in Summer Shorts II: Best Kept Secrets. It is so near and dear to my heart that I've opted to release it independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment