Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Author Spotlight: Queen of Spades

Author Spotlight of
Queen of Spades




Howdy! Thanks, Y. Correa, for inviting me. You sure do know how to make a Southern girl feel welcome!

Stop on by! I never say “no” to good networking.





Greetings! I am Queen of Spades, and I have been writing since I was eleven years old. Originally, I planned on keeping my writings to the confines of my early Creative Writing and English assignments or for my own personal journaling. However, many of my teachers felt I had something special, and I was made a writer of the McComb High School newspaper Tiger Rags. I featured my poetry as well as did interviews and editorials.

To me, the Internet was one of the greatest things ever invented! I got a chance to connect with others from all over who had the same passion for writing as me. The Internet served as my writing’s transition from “selected eyes” to “all access”. During this time, I encountered someone. Our connection was love for all things written and artistic. That person was my most powerful inspiration and I wrote a series of poetry based on how moved I was by certain works. It was completed in the span of three months back in 2003, a full two years before I published my first work, Spaded Truths.

The bond with that inspiration came to an abrupt end in 2008. I debated whether to destroy the pieces, since I could not look at them in the beginning without all of the negativity flowing back in. Yet, a voice would whisper, “Queen, don’t do it.”

One day, earlier this year, while doing some Spring cleaning, I discovered the collection again. I realized while I was reading it, I didn’t feel the old twinges of pain and anger. I had an overall appreciation for the work and was very glad for the inspiration behind it. Although I had taken a publishing hiatus in late 2006, I realized I still had things I wanted to say. I also realized the only way I could completely and constructively heal was to go ahead and publish the work.

Reflections of Soul is that work. It is my re-emergence into the publishing realm. It is my return to “all access.”


Available in Paperback at
and

Available in e-book at
and


Blurb:

Inspiration is all around but what happens when inspiration from one impacts facets of another's self? Reflections of Soul takes one on this poetic journey--a voyage coated in bittersweet waves: paying homage to the inspiration while gaining necessary closure on the impact after the bond met its' death.

Y. Correa's Review of "Reflections of Soul", by Queen of Spades:


"Reflections of Soul"...
Have you ever stopped and thought to yourself after reading a certain book about how well the title fit it?

If the answer is yes, than you will fully understand my review.

Queen of Spades' "Reflections of Soul" is exactly that.

As I read each poem, it was like staring into a looking glass. I could see me. But, not what was simply at the surface, I could see me... the real me! Each stanza was incredibly powerful in it's delivery. There was something so profound about her metaphoric writing.

I kid you not, I could not stop the chills from flowing through me as I read on. There were some prose that etched themselves into my soul. For example:

1) "Awkward Moments"
"Today, you can't laugh away my woes,
so you listened and held me very tightly
and allowed my tears to flow"

2) "Butterfly"
"I see a butterfly I like to call Happiness"

3) "Faded Dreams"
"... alas, Reality is home"

The list can go on and on. It has been a long time since I'd encounter a Poet's works that hit home in such an absolute way. These ballads were like music to the inner me--to my soul.

Wonderful, magnificent work! Five stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment